Writing sentences, additional grammar, mechanics, business letter, paragraphs, writing process for narrative/descriptive/expository/persuasive writing, using effective writing techniques, multi-paragraph compositions, informational report, using figurative language, and other topics.
*Scoring Services for Essentials in Writing only
Essentials in Writing Additional Student Level 8 Workbook
$32Included: This is an instructional manual/student workbook for an ADDITIONAL student using the same level of DVDs. Please note that this workbook is not functional without the related DVD.
- Review Sentences, Sentence Structure (Compound and Complex Sentences), Address Sentence Errors (Fragment and Run On); and Dependent and Independent Clauses
- Grammar (SUPPLEMENTAL): Subject/Predicate (Complete, Simple and Compound Subjects/Predicates), Nouns, Proper Nouns, Action Verbs, Adjectives, Pronouns, Linking Verbs, Possessive Nouns, Subject/Verb Agreement, Adverbs, Prepositional Phrases Appositives, Proper Adjectives – NOTE: Grammar Review is Supplemental and Includes Video Component Only
- Mechanics of Dialogue and Purposeful Dialogue
- Parts of a Paragraph and Writing a Paragraph
- How to Choose an Appropriate Writing Form
- Writing a Business Letter (Includes Format and Composition)
- The Writing Process: Prewrite, Draft, Revise, Edit and Publish
- Use the Writing Process to Compose Narrative, Descriptive, Expository, Persuasive Writing in Formal Formats Including Paragraph, Essay and Business Letter; and Informal Format such as a Friendly Letter
- Research Project/Paper
- Effective Writing Skills: Strong Details, Transitions, Beginning/Middle/End Concept, Logical Sequence of Events, Variety of Sentence Structure, Use of Figurative Language Including Simile, Metaphor, Personification, Hyperbole, Imagery, and Vivid Language
- Revision: Word Choice (Use of a Thesaurus), Using Strong Details, a Variety of Sentence Structure in Writing, Figurative Language when Appropriate, and Adding Dialogue when Appropriate
Sample Lesson Video
Planners, Samples, and Other Information
What is Essentials in Literature?
Essentials in Literature is a DVD based literary analysis curriculum that features a student textbook/workbook and DVD. Literary analysis is divided into four units:
- Fiction (short stories)
- Nonfiction (or Drama depending on level)
- Poetry and Figurative Language
Units include literary analysis activities, independent practice, culminating activities, and summative assessments.