Writing sentences, additional grammar, mechanics, friendly letter, business letter, paragraphs, writing process for narrative/descriptive/expository/persuasive writing, using effective writing techniques, multi-paragraph compositions, research paper, using figurative language, and other topics.
*Scoring Services for Essentials in Writing only
Essentials in Writing Additional Student Level 7 Workbook
$32Included: This is an instructional manual/student workbook for an ADDITIONAL student using the same level of DVDs. Please note that this workbook is not functional without the related DVD.
- Review Sentences Types and Sentence Structure (Compound Sentences), Sentence Errors (Fragment and Run On); and Dependent and Independent Clauses.
- Parts of a Personal Letter and Writing a Personal Letter
- Parts of a Paragraph and Writing a Paragraph
- Other Forms of Written Communication: Lists, Thank You Notes, Invitations, and Diary Entries
- How to Choose an Appropriate Writing Form
- Writing a Business Letter (Includes Format and Composition)
- The Writing Process: Prewrite, Draft, Review, Edit and Publish
- Use the Writing Process to Compose Narrative, Descriptive, Expository; and Persuasive Writing in Formal Paragraphs and Informal Writing
- Essays: Compare and Contrast Essay; Expository Essay
- Effective Writing Skills: Strong Details, Transitions, Beginning/Middle/End Concept, Logical Sequence of Events, Variety of Sentence Structure; and Use of Figurative Language Including Simile, Metaphor, Personification, Hyperbole, and Vivid Language
- Revision: Word Choice (Use of a Thesaurus), Using Strong Details, a Variety of Sentence Structure in Writing, Figurative Language when Appropriate, and Adding Dialogue when Appropriate
- Research Project – A Complete Research Project Including Planning, Gathering Information, Drafting, Revising and Publishing
NOTE:In each previous grade, the curriculum begins with mechanic and grammar review and methodically moves into composition exercises. In seventh grade, Essentials in Writing shifts to a “composition” focus with grammar as supplemental.
- Capitalization Rules: Beginning of Sentence, Names, City/State, Countries, Holidays and Titles
- Punctuation Rules: Period, Question Mark, Exclamation Point, Comma Usage, and Titles
- Grammar: Subject/Predicate (Complete, Simple and Compound Subjects/Predicates), Nouns, Proper Nouns, Action Verbs, Adjectives, Pronouns, Linking Verbs Possessive Nouns, Subject/Verb Agreement, Adverbs, Prepositional Phrases, Appositives, and Proper Adjectives
- Spelling Rules for Plural Nouns
- Mechanics of Dialogue and Purposeful Dialogue
Sample Lesson Video
Planners, Samples, and Other Information
What is Essentials in Literature?
Essentials in Literature is a DVD based literary analysis curriculum that features a student textbook/workbook and DVD. Literary analysis is divided into four units:
- Fiction (short stories)
- Nonfiction (or Drama depending on level)
- Poetry and Figurative Language
Units include literary analysis activities, independent practice, culminating activities, and summative assessments.