Essentials in Writing has teamed up with HEAV to offer an amazing choir opportunity for students 14 to 18 years old. Students will participate in monthly webinars with Mr. Stephens and students across the region to learn about the art of choral singing. After students who are accepted into the choir receive rehearsal tracks (mp3 files) and sheet music, they will learn the music on their own under the guidance of choral conductor, Mr. Matthew Stephens. The group will culminate in choral workshops at HEAV convention. Potential performances are Saturday opening the AM Keynote, on the demo stage, and in the registration lobby.
• NO REGISTRATION FEE (Essentials in Writing is sponsoring the event)
• Students who are 14 years old or older before January 1, 2019 may audition
• Students will attend be required to attend monthly rehearsal webinars February to May where they will learn choral singing technique
• Music will be provided to all students
• MP3 rehearsal files will be provided to students to help them learn their part
• Students will submit monthly milestone audio check-ins to Mr. Stephens
• Students must attend the Choral Workshops and performances at HEAV convention (see details below)
Registration opens January 1 and auditions must be submitted no later than January 15.
The purpose of the audition process is to determine the vocal range of singers and their skill level related to: matching pitch, staying in tune, and reading music. This information will be used to choose music for performances that are in line with skill level.
Auditions must be submitted no later than January 15, 2019. Students 14 years old on or before January 1, 2019 may audition. Students will prepare the following and submit no later than January 15, 2019
• Complete the audition form here
• Submit your audition video to 417-755-5416
Students will complete the form on the website and submit an audition video to the number listed. Using an iPhone or other such device, students will record themselves:
1. Stating their full name and age
2. Singing a major scale
3. Singing “Happy Birthday to You”
4. Sight read music provided on the website for those who can (not required)
* Auditions may be no longer than 2 minutes
*All auditions must be with the voice alone with no music
Students will be provided sheet music and mp3 file to learn the music. Sheet music and mp3 files will be sent February 1.
Students will submit monthly milestone audio check-in to Mr. Stephens
Students will participate in monthly webinar rehearsals February to May.
(Note: If students have a time conflict, they may watch the webinar rehearsal later and provide the requested feedback.)
Choral Workshops/Rehearsals and Performance
Three rehearsals will be held at the convention: Thursday evening, Friday morning, and Friday afternoon
Potential performances chosen by HEAV admin: 1) opening the AM Keynote, 2) demo stage, 3) registration lobby.
The goal of this activity is two-fold:
1. Determine interest and participation levels for a more structured and featured choral festival working in conjunction with the HEAV convention
2. Provide students an opportunity to participate in an All-State like choir singing challenging yet rewarding music for an audience as well as learn the art of choral singing