ENROLLMENT FOR 2021-2022 SCHOOL YEAR NOW OPEN
HIGH SCHOOL ONLY – 2021-2022 TERM
Begins September 1, 2021 and ends May 11, 2022
ABOUT THIS CLASS
Textbook: Includes Essentials in Writing Level 9 textbook (shipped upon enrollment)
Video: Includes online video access to Level 9 and access to weekly live classes
Class Times: Wednesdays from 12:30 – 1:30 CST
September 1 – May 11
- All major holidays and common school breaks are observed.
- Class times follow CST (Central Standard Time). Time changes are observed.
- Any dates and/or times are subject to change.
Registration Fee: $167 charged at the time of enrollment
Monthly Tuition: $47 per month (September 1 to May 1)
Student placement: Any student may register for this course; however, it is best suited for students in grades 9-12 who struggle with writing.
Course Overview: This class is devoted to help the struggling high school writer. Focusing on a systematic approach to composition, Mr. Stephens walks students step-by-step through the writing process, slowly building an understanding of not only the process to follow in order to write successfully but also what is required to produce quality academic compositions for a variety of genres including descriptive, expository, and persuasive writing.
Compositions: The course will focus on the following types of writing. This is not a comprehensive list but rather the basics from which to build the foundations of writing.
- Sentence Structures, Formal Paragraphs, and Essays
- Descriptive Writing
- Expository Writing
- Persuasive Writing
Class Itinerary: The semester begins with 4 weeks of sentence structure, followed by 8 or more weeks of paragraph writing. Once a strong foundation for following the writing process is established in addition to a clear understanding of paragraph structure, students will move into essay writing for the remainder of the year. Please note, this class will NOT complete a research paper. The course will require one, daily online communication between the student and teacher through email conversations where small written assignments are submitted in an email thread. There is not set time for the communication. As students progress, daily email interaction will diminish. The class is designed to use the required textbook (included) as a guide throughout the class. There will be one daily interaction between the student and teacher. Students will work to improve their writing by building each composition step-by-step. Students will be required to turn in daily mini-assignments. At the beginning of the year, each daily mini-assignment takes 10-15 minutes. Later in the year, when working with essays, each daily mini-assignment takes approximately 30 minutes. A mid-term check point covers paragraphs, and a final check point at the end of the semester covers essays.
Credits: 1 English Credit consists of writing and literary analysis. If the student is completing Essentials in Literature (or other comparable literary study), this writing course will make up the other half of the English Credit.
- Student will need an up-to-date computer or laptop that can access the internet.
- Students will need an email address to send completed assignments through email.
- Essentials in Writing is not responsible for technology support.
- If students fail to complete daily assignments, parents will be notified to withdraw their student from the class.
- Attend one hour-long virtual classroom lesson online once per week.
- Watch Essentials in Writing Level 9 instructional videos (provided) and complete each daily mini-assignment.
- Be prepared and plan accordingly to complete daily mini-assignments.
- The instructor will provide daily feedback for each step of the writing process of each composition through email correspondence. As students progress, daily feedback will diminish to 2-3 times per week.
- The instructor will grade and return all work in a timely manner.
- The instructor will be available by email for questions. Although the educator will grade and return the work, the family may choose the final grade based on a variable of their choice.
Cancellation / Refund Policy
- PayPal or credit card accepted as payment.
- Refunds for the Virtual Class are granted based on the following criteria:
- Refunds for the Registration Fee and for the First Month’s Tuition are granted if requests are received within 14 days of the first class of the season. The Registration Fee can only be refunded during this initial 14-day window, beginning on the class start date. After this 14-day period, refunds for the current month’s tuition are granted only if the request is received within 10 days of each subsequent billing cycle. Any previous month’s tuition cannot be refunded.
Registration Fee: $167 (charged at the time of enrollment)
Monthly Tuition: $47 per month (September 1 to May 1)
or, order by phone
Call (417) 256-4191
Meet the Teacher
- Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education
- Master of Science in Elementary Administration
- Certified in Special Education – Cross Categorical
- Certified in Adult Education and Literacy
Mrs. Jolie Washam
- Bachelor of Science in Education
- Master of Science in Education
Jolie has spent the past 23 years working in the public education teaching middle school students 5th-8th grades. She has taught every subject area including language arts, math, science and history. She is married to her wonderful husband, Bradley. Together they have two daughters ages 14 and 10 keeping busy with extracurricular activities especially sports. Jolie enjoys spending time working with young people helping them uncover all their natural abilities and building their confidence in themselves as they learn they can tackle any task given them with success if they develop a positive attitude and confidence in themselves. She is an avid reader and loves talking about books with young people. She also enjoy spending time outside on her farm completing all the tasks farming requires.
I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate this class and the positive feedback my reluctant writer has received from you. Your patience and encouragement has improved my son’s writing and the one-on-one feedback has been invaluable for his confidence. Thank you so much – you are what we needed at this time in his homeschooling journey and it has been a pleasure working with you. (5-1-20)
~Virtual Class Happy Mom