ENROLLMENT FOR FALL SEMESTER OPEN
Begins September 6, 2023 and ends May 8, 2024
ABOUT THIS CLASS
Textbook: Includes DIGITAL Essentials in Writing Level 9
(Digital Access will be available July 1)
Video: Includes online video access to Level 9 and access to weekly live classes
Class Times: Wednesdays from 12:30 – 1:30 CST
September 6 – May 8
- All major holidays and common school breaks are observed.
- Class times follow CST (Central Standard Time). Time changes are observed.
- Any dates and/or times are subject to change.
Registration Fee: $167 charged at the time of enrollment
Monthly Tuition: $47 per month (September 1 to May 1)
Student placement: Any student may register for this course; however, it is best suited for students in grades 9-12 who struggle with writing.
Course Overview: This class is devoted to help the struggling high school writer. Focusing on a systematic approach to composition, Mrs. York walks students step-by-step through the writing process, slowly building an understanding of not only the process to follow in order to write successfully but also what is required to produce quality academic compositions for a variety of genres including descriptive, expository, and persuasive writing.
Compositions: The course will focus on the following types of writing. This is not a comprehensive list but rather the basics from which to build the foundations of writing.
- Sentence Structures, Formal Paragraphs, and Essays
- Descriptive Writing
- Expository Writing
- Persuasive Writing
Class Itinerary: The semester begins with 4 weeks of sentence structure, followed by 8 or more weeks of paragraph writing. Once a strong foundation for following the writing process is established in addition to a clear understanding of paragraph structure, students will move into essay writing for the remainder of the year. Please note, this class will NOT complete a research paper. The course will require one, daily online communication between the student and teacher through email conversations where small written assignments are submitted in an email thread. There is not set time for the communication. As students progress, daily email interaction will diminish. The class is designed to use the required textbook (included) as a guide throughout the class. There will be one daily interaction between the student and teacher. Students will work to improve their writing by building each composition step-by-step. Students will be required to turn in daily mini-assignments. At the beginning of the year, each daily mini-assignment takes 10-15 minutes. Later in the year, when working with essays, each daily mini-assignment takes approximately 30 minutes. A mid-term check point covers paragraphs, and a final check point at the end of the semester covers essays.
Credits: 1 English Credit consists of writing and literary analysis. If the student is completing Essentials in Literature (or other comparable literary study), this writing course will make up the other half of the English Credit.
- Student will need an up-to-date computer or laptop that can access the internet.
- Students will need an email address to send completed assignments through email.
- Essentials in Writing is not responsible for technology support.
- If students fail to complete daily assignments, parents will be notified to withdraw their student from the class.
- Attend one hour-long virtual classroom lesson online once per week.
- Watch Essentials in Writing Level 9 instructional videos (provided) and complete each daily mini-assignment.
- Be prepared and plan accordingly to complete daily mini-assignments.
- The instructor will provide daily feedback for each step of the writing process of each composition through email correspondence. As students progress, daily feedback will diminish to 2-3 times per week.
- The instructor will review work and provide feedback in a timely manner.
- The instructor will be available by email for questions. Although the educator will grade and return the work, the family may choose the final grade based on a variable of their choice.
Cancellation / Refund Policy
- PayPal or credit card accepted as payment.
- Refunds for the Virtual Class are granted based on the following criteria:
- Refunds for the Registration Fee and for the First Month’s Tuition are granted if requests are received within 14 days of the first class of the season. The Registration Fee can only be refunded during this initial 14-day window, beginning on the class start date. After this 14-day period, refunds for the current month’s tuition are granted only if the request is received within 10 days of each subsequent billing cycle. Any previous month\’s tuition cannot be refunded.
Registration Fee: $167 (charged at the time of enrollment)
Monthly Tuition: $47 per month (September 1 to May 1)
or, order by phone
Call (417) 256-4191
Meet the Teacher
- Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education
- Master of Science in Elementary Education
- Certified in Special Education – Cross Categorical
- Certified in Adult Education and Literacy
- Master of Science in Administration
- Bachelors or Science in Elementary Education
- Certified in 7-9 ELA, Science, and Social Studies
- K-12 Physical Education
- 9-12 Business Education
- Bachelor of Science in English
- Emphasis in Education
Bella’s teacher is helpful and always advising on how Bella can improve her writing. Her critiques are caring but helpful; they praise but also advise on what needs improvements.
My daughter's writing is improving every week. The lessons are simple and understandable and I really appreciate how Mr. Stephens gets feedback from the grading teachers and can recognize if he needs to go back over something or if he needs to slow down.
I have looked high and low for a writing course for my son who has been diagnosed with dyslexia, dysgraphia and dyscalculia. The thought process for my son to write even one sentence takes much time and effort. The feedback for daily assignments is phenomenal. The teacher meets Calvin where he is at and gently guides him with encouragement to a place of understanding with the assignment.