Essentials in Writing Online Class
Fall 2019 Creative Writing
ENROLLMENT OPENS MARCH 1
About This Class
Class Times: Students do not meet at regularly scheduled class times. However, a discussion post is due every Wednesday and a writing assignment is due every Friday.
Class Dates: Fall 2019 (September 3rd – December 13th)
Course Description: A course in fiction and non-fiction types of creative writing that provides instruction and practice in the following genres: poetry, short fiction, and creative non-fiction. Course requirements will include weekly participation in class discussions, critiquing the work of fellow classmates, and submitting original creative works.
Compositions: Ten poems, one short story, a persuasive speech, a lyric essay, a personal essay, and a news article
Class Itinerary: This course requires online interaction between the student, their peers, and the teacher through Canvas. In an online classroom, students will complete in-class assignments and discuss their work with others. Students will be required to turn in multiple drafts of their original short story and wait for personal feedback from the instructor before turning in a final draft of the work. In addition, students will write ten poems and explore various types of non-fiction essays and newswriting. The instructor will be available through email and Canvas throughout the week.
- Open to all high school students
- We accept Paypal or credit and debit cards
- Satisfaction Guaranteed: 100% refund if requested on or before 14 days after the first day of class
How Does The Course Work?
- Read announcements and assigned class readings each week
- Submit discussion question responses and class assignments each week
- Comment on classmates’ discussion posts
- Discuss the creative writing process with the teacher and other students
- Learn about poetry, short fiction, and creative non-fiction
- Create a portfolio of at least ten poems, one short story, and four non-fiction writings
- Overall, students will develop confidence in their ability to write creatively and communicate effectively
WHAT IS UNIQUE ABOUT THIS COURSE?
- This class is not a composition course—it focuses only on creative types of writing
- This class offers hands-on instruction in the field of creative writing, which is not widely offered in many homeschool curricula
- This class offers students interaction with not only a teacher but also other students without the need to enroll in a college course
$97 (one semester course)
Meet the Teacher
Mrs. Dianna Locke, Ed.S
- 26-year educator
- Bachelor of Science in English and social studies
- Master’s degree in Reading
- Master’s degree in Curriculum, Instruction, & Technology
- Master’s degree in Educational Administration
- Specialist degree in Educational Leadership
- Library Media Specialist Certified (K-12)
- Journalism advisor for 20 years
- Teacher of the Year recipient and 15 time nominee
- Recipient of national awards from 2004-present
- Member of International Literacy Association
- Member of Missouri Association of School Librarian
Other Online Classes
College Preparatory Writing Class
This class is a preparatory course to familiarize students with the types and styles of writing that could be used in college or professional settings.